Why HONOR PAC?
- Our Numbers
California is home to the largest concentration of LGBT Latinos in the United States, yet the political landscape lacks organized and coordinated political participation from LGBT Latinos/as. The large number of LGBT Latinos-particularly in Southern California-creates an opportunity for us to organize around issues of mutual concern and interest.
- Homophobia in our Community Needs to Be Addressed
Homophobia in Latino communities contributes to second-class status and a host of social and economic problems such as: hate crimes; domestic violence; alcohol and drug abuse; employment discrimination; and increasing rates of HIV infection, among others. Political leaders need to be aware of these issues.
- Huge Opportunities for Increased Civic Engagement
LGBT Latinos and Latinas are politically disenfranchised. As a result, LGBT Latino voices are nearly absent from policy debates and the democratic process. There is a need to educate and encourage LGBT Latinos on how they can increase their involvement in the political process and advocate for issues of interest.
- Leadership Development
Empowerment of LGBT Latino communities requires organized and sustained opportunities for leadership and professional development. A distinct and organized political mobilization effort is required to address the near absence of visible LGBT Latinos in positions of leadership and to effectively advocate for issues of importance to LGBT Latinos/as.
• Elect candidates who support and advocate for the interests of the Latina/o LGBT communities.
• Support or oppose ballot propositions that serve the interests of the Latina/o LGBT communities.
• Promote Latina/o LGBT education and mobilization of lawful political action, including support and advocacy for increased Latina/o LGBT voices in elected and appointed offices.